In the wellness industry, there’s a massive discrepancy between types of products and their quality. Many companies use the cannabis leaf to market any type of product made from hemp, leaving customers to decipher ingredients and benefits for themselves.
Not only is this extremely confusing, but it’s also unfair to customers. The cannabis plant can produce many ingredients, ranging from CBD oil to hemp oil to THC, but each product has its own health benefits and legal standards. When companies use the cannabis leaf without explicitly saying what the product is made of, customers can’t tell if they’re buying high-quality CBD or if they’re getting the benefits they think they are.
To help you clear the confusion and understand why it’s important to buy high-quality CBD, our hemp experts created this hemp oil vs. CBD guide.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, or CBD oil, is an active compound found in the cannabis plant. It helps provide relief for a variety of ailments. CBD oil is typically used for medicinal or therapeutic purposes and does not get users high like traditional marijuana with THC.
CBD can also be called hemp extract. Hemp extract is taken from parts of the hemp plant that have high levels of cannabidiol, the same as CBD.
So while CBD and hemp extract can be used somewhat interchangeably, hemp oil and hemp extract cannot be. This is where things get confusing.
What is hemp oil?
Hemp oil is derived from the seeds of the hemp plant, which do not contain any phytocannabinoids. Like olive or sunflower oil, hemp oil is a carrier oil as opposed to an active compound.
While it does offer many benefits, hemp oil is considered more of a superfood than a source of natural relief for aches and pains. Hemp oil is typically added to skincare products or foods because of its high amounts of many natural properties, including:
- Polyunsaturated acids
- Vitamin E
- Omega-6 fatty acids
- Omega-3 fatty acids
And to make it more confusing, hemp oil is also referred to as cannabis Sativa oil or hemp seed oil. Again, none of these products include actual CBD.
What is the difference between CBD oil and hemp oil?
|Hemp Oil||CBD Oil|
|Sourced From||Hemp seed||Hemp flower|
|Extraction Process||Cold-pressed||Supercritical C02 extraction|
|Benefits||Improve skin, hair, and nails||Promote natural relief from aches, pain, and other physical ailments|
CBD oil and hemp oil both offer unique natural benefits, but there is a pretty specific difference in the products themselves.
CBD includes actual cannabinoids that target your endocannabinoid system to help maintain homeostasis in the body. CBD is federally legal, but can only be legally sold in 47 states. Most states restrict CBD to people over the age of 21.
Hemp oil does not contain cannabinoids. It contains antioxidants and other nutrients that help improve the skin and add other supplements to your diet. This is the product you see in grocery stores. It can be sold anywhere in the United States to any age.
Hemp oil vs. CBD benefits
CBD is used for:
- Supporting pain
- Targeting inflammation
- Providing relief
- Managing anxious feelings
- Creating a sense of calm
Hemp oil is used for:
- Improving skin
- Boosted hydration
- Improved elasticity
- Adding nutrients to diet
How to tell if CBD is fake or real
Unfortunately, some companies use an image of a cannabis plant on their products to make customers think that their product includes CBD. Search Amazon for CBD and you will see thousands of hemp oil results masquerading as CBD products.
The truth is: CBD cannot be legally sold on Amazon. These are likely just hemp oil products; the companies are relying on customer confusion to sell their products.
By definition, hemp oil does not naturally contain CBD. The amount of CBD in a hemp extract product can range anywhere from 90% all the way down to 0%. The industry average is 25% CBD and 75% other ingredients.
You should carefully read the label to really understand what kind of benefits you’re really getting from your product. To learn more, read this guide for how to find high-quality CBD oil.
At Green Grove, our hemp extract contains 90% CBD. The other 10% is all-natural products like carrier oils, natural flavors, and more. When you choose to purchase your products from us, you can trust that you’re getting all the natural benefits and ingredients you’re paying for—and nothing else.
At Green Grove, we’re dedicated to providing reliable, honest information that gets straight to the point. With our products, you don’t have to question how much CBD is included or where we source our hemp—we give you that information up-front so you can make more informed decisions and see better results.